Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Almost Full Day at the Barn

So I actually had a full day I could spend at the barn, so I tried to get some things done. I went out in the field to get Lilly, since she would be the easy one, but guess who met me in the field...

It's Willow girl!  She seems so much happier since she first came to the barn.  She really does love to be around people.  I put her on the cross ties and had to take some more pics of her.  I love the ears she got from the Dutch Harness sire.

I wanted to get some deep cleaning done, and for the past few days noticed some gray roaning on her back leg.  When I got her she was pure black, and after she shed out a bit, she is more like a dark bay.  I wonder if she is going to gray out.  

I started working on her feathers....Goodness does she have feathers.  I took most of it off the front, but I left a little near her pastern because she hasn't perfected giving me her hoof.

I have been worried about the condition of her hooves.  She has been getting a hoof supplement for the past month.  Today I also got a new hoof ointment that I hear is pretty good called Effol from Germany.  It is made in the same factory that human cosmetics are made.  So it must have great ingredients in it.  I cleaned her hooves when we were finished and applied it to her hoof walls.

I lunged her for a bit.  She goes really well to the right (voice commands and all), but hates to go to the left.    She stops and turns on a dime and trots the other way.  I guess we have some work to do.  After lunging, I got on her for about the 6th time.  She is starting to listen to me a little more.  She will finally walk away from the gate.  She will stop as well as back up, but we still need to work on steering to where I want to go.  I am now on her back for about 15 minutes until she gets a little impatient.  

I rode Lilly for a bit working on bending and collecting, however my sore throat was getting worse and I needed to go to Patient First, so we didn't do any jumping.  Now that I have the new filly, I can see how far Lilly has come.  She is so smart and willing.  If only she could get over the ghosts that are in the woods next to the ring when the wind blows.  BOOO!

The farrier is coming tomorrow and I have to work at 11.  Lori, the barn manager said she would hold them, but my horses sometimes only behave for me.  I guess we will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment